Re: [OM] 35-105mm Zuiko

Subject: Re: [OM] 35-105mm Zuiko
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 22:55:45 +0000
At 02:12 2/5/01, Andy Gilbert wrote:
Anyway, Obviously I need to get out there & try it out properly, but I'd welcome any comments on this lens from anyone who has one. Is the close focus as useful as it sounds?

Andy,
I have the 35-105 and it is a surprisingly excellent zoom lens. You will find it has superb contrast and excellent resolution. The close focus is OK, it is a helical that effectively extends the lens 5-7mm much as a short extension tube does. I found focusing with the close-focus extended to be a little challenging at times, but it works, and suspect it's because the lens is complex with the zoom and intern focusing. Sometimes only partially rotating the close-focus ring helps. It's not the same as having a true macro or using auto tubes on a prime, but if you're traveling light with just this lens it does the job of letting you get closer than you can without it.

The only drawback, and this is because I have many of the fast primes, is a dimmer viewfinder in very low light. It's most noticeable zoomed out at 105mm (wide open at 105mm is f/4.5) and has never been a problem in daylight, even with heavy overcast.

It's an excellent walk-around lens if you don't want to carry anything else and found the extra 35mm beyond the 35-70 to be quite useful.

-- John