Re: [OM] Crazy experiment

Subject: Re: [OM] Crazy experiment
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 20:54:44 +0000
Re the peephole fisheye I think this may have been in a 1999 Shutterbug ???

I recall seeing something about it on line but couldn't find the URL. It was, as Chris described, a fisheye security peephole on a lens cap. As I recall the results were as Wayne described, not very good, although it was an interesting experiment. The lens cap with the puny peephole sticking out of it was a sight to behold.

I've also seen the images from 0.42X video camera converters adapted on standard and wide-angle 35mm still camera lenses. Again, interesting results but lacking in image quality (very soft, especially edges). I got the impression from the examples I saw they are neither a true rectilinear nor a true fisheye, but something between them: rectilinear with massive barrel distortion or fisheye with massive pincushion distortion; take your pick.

-- John

At 22:01 2/4/01, Wayne Harridge wrote:
Chris wrote:

> I've been told one can make a "poor man's fisheye" by drilling a hole in
> the center of a lens cap the diameter of one of those door peephole
> thingies, and then glue said thingie into the hole.  Attach this gizmo to
> the front of your lens and WHAMO...  instant fisheye!
> Like I said, I haven't tried it, yet.  Has anyone here done this (or
> something similar), and if so what were the results?

Tried that, lousy results, the screw on "fisheye" (0.42X) adapters aren't much better.

The peepholes are also very slow, just take a look at the lens diameter.