OT: Wolves reaction to cameras [was: Re: [OM] New eSIF mirror site!]

Subject: OT: Wolves reaction to cameras [was: Re: [OM] New eSIF mirror site!]
From: "Per Nordenberg" <per.nordenberg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 02:08:33 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, February 03, 2001 11:53 AM
Subject: Re: [OM] New eSIF mirror site!

> : P.S. When I went into our tamed wolves yesterday with some visitors there
> was
> a women with an
> : iS-1000(!). Not much to be upset about maybe, but it is actually the first
> time I've seen a
> : visitor at the zoo with an iS camera. Sorry, just had to tell someone...
> ;-)
>
> How did the wolves react?

Hans,

They usually don't react to cameras or video recorders at all, i. e. unless
they are left on the
ground (or if the wolves otherwise gets the impression that you do not have
full control of your
gear anymore   ;-)  A video camera was once left on the ground by a thoughtless
visitor, and when
the alfa male "Devil" found it he lifted it up in his mouth and proceeded away
from the group of
people. Fortunately one of the visitors had a tennis ball, which he managed to
threw in a way which
made Devil distracted enough so that I could fetch the video camera. The wolf
had carried it very
gently and it didnt appear damaged in any way. The camera was in recording mode
all the time, but
unfortunetely I did not get to see the film. Do you think I should let him try
with with my OM-2SP
or iS-3000? Should make for an interesting addition to the picture galleries...
   ;-)

This is however not the case with everything that is dropped or left by the
visitors to the wolf
enclosure. A leather glove is usually consumed by the alfa male (Devil) in a
matter of seconds,
except for the fabric lining which is left to the other members of the pack.
:-)

Regards,

Per Nordenberg
Zoo keeper at Kolmården