Re: [OM] Philosophical / telephotical advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Philosophical / telephotical advice
From: Simon Evans <sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 22:16:56 GMT
Ray Moth wrote:

>One can't help drawing the conclusion that AF is always second best to
>MF, except in cases where MF would be too slow to be practical (e.g.
>when photographing certain sports, fast-moving wildlife, children
>playing, etc.) - and even then AF only makes it easire, it doesn't do
>justice to the quality of the lens.

There are a lot of pros using AF out there to earn a living, and much of the
work I've seen has been incredibly sharp. I'm thinking particularly of top
motorsports and wildlife photographers. I don't see any resolution problems
at all. I'm not saying Mr Monaghan is wrong, just that I read his peice a
while ago and it doesn't tally with the work I've seen, much of it blown up
to A4 and bigger.

Back on OM topic, Amateur Photographer features the book by Jon Nicholson on
the A1, once called "The Great North Road" before we had real motorways in
the UK. Most photos were taken with 35 & 50mm lenses, occasionally using a
24mm. It's not a patch on his Formula 1 photography for interest IMHO, but
then the A1 is not a particularly glamorous highway.

Simon E.