PDF converters (was Re: [OM] Updates to On-Line OM Library)

Subject: PDF converters (was Re: [OM] Updates to On-Line OM Library)
From: davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (David Thatcher)
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 15:24:35 +1030 (CST)
If you are going to make a habit of doing this sort of thing I would
recommend GhostScript, there's a bit of a learning curve, (most
software is like that...) but it is freeeeee...

It's generally used to convert Adobe PostScript files (or program
output) into a number of different formats for situations where other
solutions don't exist. For instance the default (Linux version)
Netscape (& most other graphics programs!) output under FreeBSD unix is
postscript, I convert to epson stylus format to print using GS. Windoze
machines can produce (very average!) PS output files using a PS printer
(say a laserwriter) & saving to file by default (you don't actually
need the printer itself, just the installed driver !!). Then I guess
you would select pdfwrite as the output 'device'- the downside is you
would need an amount of free disk space for the PS file prior to
conversion for graphics intensve stuff, & there are apparently some
minor limitations to do with encoding embedded text fonts (not a
problem here)...

see:
http://www.ghostscript.com
http://sourceforge.net/project/ghostscript

OM content.. I have printed an OM10 & T20 manual from the PDF with
Acroread via GS under FreeBSD unix!

DavidT
Adelaide, South Australia

PS (no pun intended)... I don't want to or mean to start a
M$Win/Mac/Linux/UNIX/OS2 war, this program exists for ALL these
platforms/OS's as it's part of the open source ideal...