[OM] Multinational tolerance (was irregardless) and Hind (slightly OT)

Subject: [OM] Multinational tolerance (was irregardless) and Hind (slightly OT)
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 18:22:38 +0100

No harm in that Bill.

This English pedant has to wind his neck in working in a NATO HQ. For instance, a Czech Air Force pilot (Hind/Mi-24) who works for me, a Brit, might write a piece of staff work which I will sign as his Chief. That then goes to a Norwegian Army Colonel, a German Naval Captain and a USAF Lt Col for his US Army general. Then it will go to a German Lt Col for the Belgian General, then perhaps a Brit Air Marshal or a German General. There would be no point in my correcting the grammar if the meaning is clear - otherwise I would spend my time re-writing stuff...

But I would point out, politely of course, that there is no such word as the irr.... word ;-).

I would be pointless by the way to tell me that the organisation could do with streamlining ;-) ;-).

Photographic content: the Hind pilot let me have a photo that he took of a Tornado formating on a Hind. Needless to say, the Tornado (Luftwaffe) had its wings fully forward, its flaps fully extended and a lot of angle of attack on. By contrast the Hind had it nose way down... and I have packed my scanner ready to move so I cannot show it to you for a few weeks.

Chris

Irrespective of what others have said on the list, the problem here is not
spelling but rather usage.  Regardless is the word one should generally use
when they use irregardless.  That is, of course, unless they intended to use
the word irrespective.  There are none of us who want our posts to this list
to be graded and returned with red marks.  This tread finally pushed me over
the line.  How about if we just enjoy the posting and let these things slide?

OM Content: There just aint none Bubba.

Bill Barber

--
~~~~~ ><>