[OM] Re: [OT] Space shuttle media

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Space shuttle media
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 07:39:21 +0100
I agree Ray.

During the Gulf Conflict in 1991 we had a number of our Tornado crews away doing the business as required by the Government. They were going through a bad patch of losses (6 or 7 by then I believe) and the welfare system back at our base was working hard to keep the right amount of information flowing to the wives and families. The balance was difficult to strike between too much and too little. But the tabloid journalists who started prowling the shops just outside the wire threatened a fairly delicate balance as they were only interested in a "good" story - one that would sell the next day's comic. A code of conduct was missing then.

In these situations, I maintain that there is an appropriate level of information, not too much, not too little. But don't get me wrong: I also believe that we need to know where things are going wrong - at the right time.

On the same vein and on OMs: I am reminded occasionally of my shame some years ago when, on seeing a man collapsed in the street, I asked the attending paramedic if I could take a photo (to vindicate my opinion of myself as a real life photographer). His look of irritation and disbelief reminded me of what is really important... and it wasn't my wants or ambitions at that point!

Chris

The behaviour of unsrupulous journalists gets a bad name for the rest.
I don't see why codes of conduct and professional ethics can't be
brought into the picture where journalism is concerned, such as exist
for other important professions like law, law enforcement, education,
accountancy and medicine. The press like to project themselves as
guardians of society but who's going to guard society against the
press?

Regards,

=====
Ray