[OM] Musings on the 55 1.2

Subject: [OM] Musings on the 55 1.2
From: Morgan Sparks <msparks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 22:21:16 -0500
I spent a happy half-hour after work today with a recently acquired
55/1.2 on an OM-1.  I had just a few work-related frames on some Superia
800 that I needed to print ASAP, so I did a walk-about downtown at dusk,
a streetscape brilliantly frosted with freezing rain, sleet and light
snow.  I used the lens at f2 or wide open, mostly at 1/30 or 1/60.

Boy, I can see how using this combination stretches the range of candid
photography.  This film is marketed for P&S zooms, with tiny apertures,
but it's real potential lies at the other end, I think.  Maybe I'm stuck
in my old ways, but to think that I could capture these kinds of
images---hand held, sharply and in color--came as a revelation.  Thanks,
Lex, for giving me the idea to try this stuff.

One thing I noticed with the 55: mine appears to focus a hair beyond
infinity.  The only other Zuik I've seen do this is the 300.  Is my
mirror off?  Is my lens out of whack?

Morgan Sparks