Re: [OM] Kentucky

Subject: Re: [OM] Kentucky
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 05:29:53
OK, George, we disagree over this particular issue. While I agree that sellers listing most OM items should include prices, when you get into mortgage-the-house or take-a-loan territory - and the Zuiko 350/2.8 clearly falls into that category for most folks - I don't see anything wrong with someone saying, in effect, "I have a ridiculously expensive item for sale. Please contact me offlist for price, to make offers or to discuss whether we can arrange a trade or other terms."

Look at it another way. We all agree that cosmetic condition affects price. If, say, a 50/3.5 Zuiko in EX+ or better condition can go for up to $200 while one in EX or better condition can go for up to $150, well...that's a 330rice difference. It's still only fifty bucks.

But a 330rice difference in a lens with a ballpark range of a few thousand dollars, well...we're talking a give-or-take difference of more than one-thousand dollars. That's a big deal to almost everyone and such transactions are almost certainly more appropriately negotiated privately. I don't see that as an auction. It's simply a discrete way to negotiate a price for an expensive item of limited market range due to its cost/benefit ratio.

And, chances are, in the case of any extremely expensive item that's also subject to wear from use, cosmetic condition may be extremely significant to some prospective buyers but not to others. For example, someone looking for a collectible item that will never see the out-of-doors but might occasionally sit on a tripod and be pointed at birds in the yard, might be willing to pay a premium for such a lens in like-new condition, since resale value might be a significant factor in the decision to buy. And if that "dope" happily offers $6,000, hey, it's Dopey's money. Every collector knows he/she will pay some pretty wildly varying prices over the years of accumulating those treasures. Over the long haul it evens out.

OTOH, someone else planning to use the thing in the bush might easily be swayed if the lens turned out to be in EX rather than EX+ condition, since the lens will likely suffer a few more scuffs anyway.

Many listfolk have already said they'd rather that others continue to offer items here first, even if nobody on the list can afford it or wants it at the moment. I just don't see the point in discouraging yet another list member from offering items here simply because he or she chooses to negotiate prices privately.

In the case of the 350/2.8 if I had no idea whatsoever about its used market value, but was interested in possibly purchasing it - or even merely curious - I wouldn't have hesitated to ask by e-mail if $1,500 was in the ballpark. Whether the reply is a polite, "I was hoping for offers in the $4,000 range, but thank you for inquiring", or a "Ha-ha-ha! Not even close!! But thanks for the laff!!!" at least I'd come away with information I didn't possess before. (Not that I believe John would have inflicted such a reaction on me.)

Also, let's look at it in terms of custom bike prices. You and I both know how custom work can affect the resale value of a bike. Naive folks simply don't know or care how much money can be sunk into custom parts, paint and, in the case of the true diehards, ultimate engine and exhaust tuning. So when a custom bike is advertised for sale, do you bother to try to educate them - at 50 cents a word - about why it costs so damn much, ridden only on Sundays and Sturgis, never in bad weather or on unpaved roads, etc., etc., or keep it short, sweet and enticing, ending with, "Serious offers only, inquire within"?

Then there's the approach of Jesse James of West Coast custom cycle fame who basically tells prospective customers if they don't have $40,000 in cash, minimum, go away. That's one way to weed out Jess Lukin and Lukey Lou.

Lex
===

Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 18:59:53 EST
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx

...That's BS Lex! I'll bet if you take the last 50 "FS" ads posted here, 47 of them will have an asking price. When one doesn't post a price, or, when contacted off-list doesn't give the price or even the ballpark, it seems to me like the seller is trying to pit all of us aginst each other and create a free auction. The only reason NOT to state a price of a $4000 item is the hope that some dope will offer $6000.

George S.

lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

The Zuiko 350/2.8 is clearly among those items having such value as to put them in the category of "If you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it." >>