[OM] Re: Costco for film developing

Subject: [OM] Re: Costco for film developing
From: miaim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 17:25:38 -0500
Chris, I think your post just goes to show how really different various
people's experiences and localities are. Here, where they just opened a
Costco, the film is sent out for developing. There is no interaction
between anybody. My GF tried them for some holiday snaps from her OM Stylus
105LT. We were both curious to see what they could offer for under $3 a
roll, and were both appalled when it took more than a week to get back some
"next-day" prints. When we did finally get them they were of only average
Qualex quality, which is to say they were destined for the trashcan. (That
was NOT all the fault of the lab. As so often happens with impromtu
"snapshots" many simply didn't appear as good on paper as they must've in
the viewfinder. I will resist the temptation to go into my rant about how
snapshots aren't really useful to anybody. ;-) ;-) (To me the difference is
in composition and attention to detail, but that's another sermon. ;-)

Clearly, things are very different elsewhere, but whenever I hear anybody
recommending their favorite mass production discount venue for processing,
I cringe. Before I started doing my own B&W stuff, I very carefully and
methodically had rolls of print film and slide film developed at all of the
local pro labs. The difference between a good lab and a bad one is far
greater than the differences that I've ever seen between lenses, or camera
systems or films. It's really amazing when you see what a really good color
lab can do, as compared to the average drug store or discount chain.
Interestingly, though, not all of the "pro" labs in this area are even as
good as the best discounters. So that's something to keep in mind.

If whatever you're doing is making you happy, then by all means, please do
continue. I just thought I'd share another type of experience.

Mike Swaim