Re: [OM] Flaming - was digest is mostly garbage text

Subject: Re: [OM] Flaming - was digest is mostly garbage text
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 18:38:29 -0800 (PST)
Simon wrote:

Yeah, but nobody takes any notice. Polite requests to trim quotes are
ignored, in fact I think they get bigger. That's why I get three or
more digests a day, which between them contain half a dozen interesting
posts, lots of quotes and a number of ugly jibes about Tom's buying
habits, which find unsettling. If people want to flame someone, it
would be more bearable for the rest of us if they took it off-list.
Simon,
I suppose flaming will always occur from time to time in such a diverse
community as the Oly list. However, whether or not flaming should be
off-list depends on the reason for it, IMHO.

Some of the flames that I've seen, including the ugly jibes to which
you refer, should definitely have been off-list because they were
unprovoked personal attacks. To make such attacks on-list, IMHO, is
rude and shows lack of respect for the dignity of the individual and
for other list members. It amounts to using the list selfishly to vent
personal feelings and I can see no excuse for it.

On the other hand, I think it *is* fair to respond on-list to
contradict any ridiculous, untrue or offensive statement that has
*already* been made on the list. In such a case, the issue has already
been made public and members have the right to debate it. Trouble is,
it gets dragged out unnecessarily when people want to have the last
word! If only we weren't human . . . :-)

Regards,

=====
Ray