Re: [OM] Olympus Guy - mystery solved

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Guy - mystery solved
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 07:43:18 EST
I don't want to get into a p*ssing match with anyone, but since Tom received
400 emails and is shipping 50 parcels or pieces out, it *would* seem that he
had not only fair prices, but items that people on the list wanted.

I appreciate his - and anyone else for that matter - offering items here
first as long as the posting says "FS" so anyone can skip it if "FS" ads
offend them. I also appreciate, after I agreed to buy a certain item at an
agreed price and I was about to send him payment, that he contacted me and
said after looking over the piece before shipping it out, he found - let me
call it an "imperfection" - and he was no longer comfortable with selling it
to a list member. THAT kind of consideration you don't find on eBay!

I thought of this list as a group of friends sitting around talking Olympus
photography. Does that mean I can never buy a camera from a friend?
What *may* have gotten Tom resentment is his openness to share with us his
"good deals" he feels he gets from time to time.  Someone may feel he's
always getting these "deals" ("steals"?) then turning a profit. So what if he
does? He's laying out a TON of money, not to mention the stress of hiding the
buying and selling (mostly the buying) from his wife! If his prices are not
fair, he'll know it from the lack of interest. Sure, we'd all like to find
the $75 40/2 lens- and the $175 OM-4T we recently "heard" about :) ... I'm
sure Tom would too. Does that mean we can never sell it for a higher price?

I found a LNIB 85/2 lens for $75 a couple of years ago, and yes- the lead to
where it was was openly posted here. I've been offered 3 times that and more
(not that I'm selling it). I've also- in my much younger and non- OM-savvy
days sold an OM 50-250 for $150. You take the good with the bad. I also know
Tom has been burned by a seller or two on an item or two, and he's kept the
items and not offered them here, and even chosen not to get into something
ugly with the seller. That's the type of friend we have, and he's not alone,
many of us treat each other as friends. Let's keepit that way, please.

Best,
George S.

tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Larry,

 If you have a problem with the prices I offered to the list, then don't buy
 anything.  I offered VERY fair prices, well below market prices. Do some
 comparison shopping.

 You clearly have a thing for me. Get over it.

 Tom