[OM] Securing eyecups (was: New to the list)

Subject: [OM] Securing eyecups (was: New to the list)
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 23:42:55
Good question, Jim. I'm always removing the eyecups so they don't snag on my shirt and pop off. Then I have to replace 'em when I'm ready to shoot. It's worse with the older cup-style pieces. I have one for my Canon FTbn that's - I exaggerate not - large enough to cover my face from the bridge of my nose to my left ear. Big honkin' thing, but it keeps extraneous light from fooling the meter.

They probably shouldn't be glued on because some folks have reported cracked eyepieces from trying to mount eyecups too securely.

I'm thinking that maybe a *little* friction could be added by painting a tiny stripe of contact cement on *one surface only* of either the eyecup or the eyepiece. (Not both surfaces which would, of course, result in a fairly permanent bond.) After contact cement dries on a single surface it provides a fairly grippy surface that cannot bond to a glue-free mating surface. Eventually the stuff would wear off and need to be replaced.

Just a thought.

Frankly, I dunno why the foundation of the eyepiece isn't metal. Then an eyecup could be clipped on pretty securely without worrying about losing it. Eyeglass wearers could still use a rubber or soft plastic abbreviated eyecup to prevent marring their eyeglass lenses.
===
Lex
===

Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 11:06:49 -0500
From: "Jim Caldwell" <jamesfc@xxxxxxx>

...Anyone have suggestions to prevent me from losing (eyecups)?