Re: [OM] 50mm f/1.2 Versions

Subject: Re: [OM] 50mm f/1.2 Versions
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 11:17:49 -0700
At 10:01 PM 1/20/2001 -0500, Rich (Doggre@xxxxxxx) wrote (regarding the Zuiko
50mm F/1.2 lens):
>In a message dated 1/20/01 6:49:43 PM Pacific Standard Time,
>garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
>> It's an awesome lens.  Worth the price I paid for it new.  I've used it
>wide
>> open and was very pleased with its sharpness and bokeh.
>
>Do you remember what that price was (not that it has any relevance to today's
>going price...)?  What would you pay for one in pristine condition tomorrow
>morning?

I believe I paid $429.95 U.S. for it, just over fifteen months ago, from B&H in
New York (the only place this Canuck shops for new Oly equipment).  It's up to,
oh, around $479.95 now, I b'lieve.  And yes, I *would* pay for one in pristine
condition tomorrow morning, even today, for that matter.  You can't believe how
bright the image is and how easy it is to focus (with the right screen) until
you've tried it.  The first subject matter I used it on was a hyperactive
10-week-old Shih-Tzu puppy, and the percentage of "keepers" (from the point of
view of correct focus) was extremely high.  I also own the 50/1.4 and several
50/1.8s, and the 50/1.2 is my standout favourite, though I use the others in
specific situations.

I like available-light B&W photography, though, so it's no surprise I like the
50/1.2.

Garth

"Risk management is not a cost, it's a way to make money.  If one organization
can manage its risk better than another, then it will be more profitable.
Smart companies embrace risk, look for more of it, and figure out how to do
business in the face of it."

   -- Bruce Schneier
      Counterpane Internet Security, Inc.