Re: [OM] Film to flange distance in various OM bodies

Subject: Re: [OM] Film to flange distance in various OM bodies
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 00:30:56 -0600
Dirk Wright wrote:

> Well, Ok, I'll bite. What are the consequences of having a camera that has
> the "wrong" pressure plate?

In practical terms, none what so ever.  It appears that Olympus quit
using "calibrated" pressure plates long ago, there being only one part
number for the pressure plate on later models.  I believe it was a
question of "over-kill", or excessive attention to minutia in a new and
revolutionary product (the OM-1 and 2).  The differences in the various
pressure plates is on a order of hundredths of a millimeter -- there's
more variation due to the curvature and buckling of the film than that!

It's like the fourth adjustment resistor on the original meter circuit
of the OM-1 -- it's presence typically changes the meter's reading no
more than 1/16th of a stop max. at one end of the operable range of the
meter!  They dropped it from the circuit after only a couple of years or
so.

> Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I for one am damn glad that Clint is with
> us in addition to John H.! Clint, you are a wealth of information on the OM
> system.

The only real difference between John and I is, I'm alot more verbose!
;^)  That, and he "grew up" in Olympus in New York, while I "grew up"
out in the "boonies" -- both had our advantages, both had shortcomings.
_I'm_ glad John is here -- I've learned alot from him over the years,
too!  Thanks, John!

Clint