Re: [OM] 50mm f/1.2 Versions

Subject: Re: [OM] 50mm f/1.2 Versions
From: John Hudson <xyyc@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 17:40:05 -0800
"John A. Lind" wrote:

> At 06:10 1/20/01, Rich asked:
> >I'd like to see all you experts discuss 50mm f/1.2 lens versions (and this
> >may have been covered along with the 1.4 and 1.8 discussion recently, I don't
> >know, as I can't possibly read them all).
> >
> >Was there an early "silver nose", single coated, etc.?  Are there serial
> >numbers that are not-so-desirable, a certain range of serial numbers that are
> >the "most desirable" version?  Or are they ALL great?
>
> Rich,
> I believe there is only one formulation of the 50/1.2.  It is a
> comparatively new lens within Zuiko family considering when the 50/1.8,
> 50/1.4 and 55/1.2 lenses appeared; well past the era of the "siver nose"
> lenses and AFIK after Olympus dropped using the "MC" markings.  It has
> always been multi-coated.

Talking about fast lenses I received a flyer recently from Kindermann
[Canada] Inc ......former Canadian Leica agent ......announcing a "giant
inventory clearance sale". One item under the Leica M section is
"50/1.0-M Noctilux .....$3200" [Cdn$ that is].

I am wondering if there is any objective assessment and comparison
between this Leica lens and the 50/1.2 Zuiko which lists for a fraction
of the price. If these two lenses were subject to an objective,
scientific, and blind test of their performance under identical
conditions I wonder how they would compare. Would anyone like to
speculate?

John Hudson
Vancouver, BC