Was: Re: [OM] Put your OM talent to use Is: (OT) Ciba/Ilfo Chrome costs

Subject: Was: Re: [OM] Put your OM talent to use Is: (OT) Ciba/Ilfo Chrome costs
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 11:22:47 -0800
My understanding is that the paper is indeed more expensive but that is
only a part of it. The chemestry is very expensive, very toxic, and the
automated print processors are getting long in the tooth and expensive
to maintain.

My local lab I used to get Ilfochromes done at was barely breaking even
on Ilfochrome printing and when the machine broke down (and the part was
on a 6 week backorder) the lab owner said shut down our Ilfochrome
printing alltogether. Since this lab is also a rental lab used by many
local professional artsy type photographers who do their own printing
there has been quite an uproar over this and the machine may come back
up after all. The owner would also like to move the lab to another
location but is unable to because the chemestry is so toxic he can not
get a use permit in the alternative location aparently.

The Pro lab in Monterey, CA. that used to do Ilfochromes also has
stopped and now offer Fuji Type-R process custom printing as an
alternative.

The Cibachrome/Ilfochrome lab calle Calypso in Santa Clara, CA I once
used has also stopped doing them. They now only offer a drum
scan-to-digital file, Lightjet enlarger, Fuji Crystal Archive process
for "Type-R" printing that has become embraced by a who's who of local
nature photgraphers (go to calypsoinc.com for more info on these folks).

I guess what I am saying is that aside from a shrinking number of
professional labs or doing it yourself, Ilfochrome is on the way out it
appears...

I find that I get my best print sales margins out of the
digital-to-photgraphic processes from places like ezprints and
shutterfly on the web.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com