Re: [OM] What kinda never-ready case is this???

Subject: Re: [OM] What kinda never-ready case is this???
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 22:08:44 +0000
At 19:43 1/16/01, Chris O'Neillpondered:
Just outta curiosity, anybody know *which* case that is???

It's a semi-hard case for the OM-10QD, a later OM-10 model with a data back. It's the reason for the slight sculpting and holes in the back. The sides are sculpted for an OM-10's flat sides, not the angled ones the single-digit OM-1 through 4T have. The nose is definitely an OM-10 case nose, with the Olympus scuplted into it. The OM-10 case bottoms do not fit on the single-digit bodies very well because they are not shaped for the sides properly. I don't think the OM-PC case, which is different, will even fit a single digit. You can see the back of one with an OM-10QD in it and the nose on Hans' eSIF site:

http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/veluwen/om-sif/casegroup/cases_for_om-10-20-30-40.htm

Many cases for the single-digit bodies are leather. The original black ones were a coarse pebble-grain with tripod screw in the bottom. Later ones were brown leather ranging from a very hard saddle leather to a softer dark brown one. I have seen one leatherette single-digit case nearly the same as the softer dark brown leather one, and a similar dark brown color. The dark brown ones fit the OM-2S through OM-4T better with their fixed hot shoes. The older ones fit the OM-1 through OM-2n like a glove, especially with a 50/1.4 on it. They are difficult, and some are impossible (very old black pebble grain with tripod screw), to fit on the later bodies with fixed hot shoes, or if a 50/1.2 is on the body. All the single-digit cases I've seen do not have the Olympus name sculpted into the nose, it's a piece of plastic (??) attached to the nose.

See Hans' eSIF site under the case group for other cases:
  http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/veluwen/om-sif/casegroup.htm

-- John