Re: [OM] "Squiggles" in Tri-X

Subject: Re: [OM] "Squiggles" in Tri-X
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 01:46:24 EST
garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx replies/writes:

<< Interestingly enough, many people are abandoning the use of acid hardening
fixer on films.  Ilford only recommends the use of such hardeners at
processing temperatures above 86 degrees Fahrenheit (30 degrees Celsius).
All of their new fixer formulations are non-hardening.  They offer a separate
hardener which can be added to the fixers.  They recommend doubling the
washing times in such cases.

I wonder whether reticulation takes place any more easily if a hardening
fixer has not been used?

I also wonder whether there is any significant difference in the resultant
film durability (ease of scratching etc?) with a hardening versus
non-hardening fixer. Anybody know ?

My reading of the Ilford non-hardening fixer recommendations was to save
washwater /process time. I also seem to remember that Ilford recommended
hardner for machine processed negs, maybe a durability issue?

                  Regards,
                 Tim Hughes