Re: [OM] Cleaning lens lettering

Subject: Re: [OM] Cleaning lens lettering
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 00:37:29 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, Michael Virsinger wrote:

> I recently purchased a lens that is in mint condition, but the white
> lettering has yellowed. I believe the user was a smoker and I think that is
> what discolored the letters, but I'm not sure.
>
> Any tips on what to use to clean or restore the lettering back to it's
> original gleaming white? Also, if indeed it was smoke, will there be any
> residue on the lens surface (and what should I use to clean that)?

If the yellowing is just from smoke, isopropyl alcohol will clean it off.
Soak a cotton swab with it and rub gently over the lettering.  If it
doesn't come off, then the white paint has probably discoloured.  To
correct that you'll need to remove the old paint (methanol works great)
and then fill the holes with new paint.
                                -mark