[OM] Value of 50mm1.8

Subject: [OM] Value of 50mm1.8
From: B Gray <bandvg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 21:41:33 +0000
Cc: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Andrew Fildes asks if they (50mm 1.8) have any uses, and if anyone has ever bought a used OM10.

Within the last year I was given £30 as a part exchange value for a 50mm1.8SC when I bought a 50mm1.4. I thought the asking price of £70 for a 1.4 with SN 1,000,xxx was too high but I was quite happy with the net price with a limited guarantee. I also have a 50mm1.8MC.

Also, over the years I have bought two second hand OM10s and one new one. My daughter has the new one (since about 1985), I have one of the second hand ones (and still use it as my back up camera) and my son has the other. My son's camera is the oldest and failed shortly after purchase and within its guarantee - I think that he got a new circuit board out of that.

Going back to our topic of how we got into Olympus photography - my daughter's OM10 (+T20) was my introduction to Olympus. Am I the only one on the list who was introduced to Olympus by being asked to choose a camera for someone else (she split the cost with me)? At the time I was using an Agfa Silette 3.5 which I had been using for 25years and my wife had a Voigtlander of similar vintage, and I did not know anything about more modern cameras. I read all the reports I could find and decided that Olympus was the best available within the budget which I had available. I often wonder how much I was influenced unconsciously by brand advertising etc - certainly the original decision to go the Olympus way lead to a lot of subsequent expenditure on OM fit equipment, mostly Olympus/Zuiko but not a lot of it new, and that was before I found this list!
Brian

UK
brian.gray@xxxxxxxxxxx