Re: [OM] Zuiko 500mm f8 reflex

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 500mm f8 reflex
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 14:48:37 EST
In a message dated 1/14/01 11:36:28 AM Pacific Standard Time,
gemstone.solutions@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Anyone have experience or opinions of this lens?  There's one for sale in
>  this week's UK Amateur Photographer for 425GBP - should I be tempted?

Andrew, it probably the sharpest 500 mirror lens around, including Nikon. So
if quality is your goal, temptation should be gratified. (Somebody here uses
a footer, you never know whether you'll get another chance.)

That aside, I have a Tamron 500/8 that I'm very happy with. Not quite as
sharp and contrasty, but still good results. Cost me $125 plus adapter.   I
haven't used it in a while and should try it out with the Provia 400F.

As to pricing, the eBay average from Skip Williams site is $412. US$. Why not
print out the tables and show them to the dealer to negotiate? New B&H price
is only $700 so it does appear to be a tad high. On the other hand they do
not often show up on the market.

Good luck,

Warren