Re: [OM] Serial #s [was] Lens Coatings

Subject: Re: [OM] Serial #s [was] Lens Coatings
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 14:57:35 +0000
At 17:49 1/14/01, Clyde Soles wrote:

Good description but I'll take the contrarian view. While it is true that multi-coating often has minimal benefits, it is still important for those who want maximum image quality at all times. When I want the sun (or any other bright light source) in the frame, the reduced ghosting and contrast degradation of multi-coatings on lens (and filter, if any) are vital. I'm willing to spend more for that last bit of performance.

Wouldn't argue an MC isn't inherently worth more. It's a matter of how much more (cost vs. benefit) and keeping what is gained by it in perspective. A pro photog being more demanding about anything that might impede getting the desired image is to be expected.

IMO MC does make a difference in zooms. I've also found it more important for the WA's and standard primes (for reasons you write about) than for prime telephotos, especially the longer ones. But that is based on my outdoor usage of them.

It was definitely a much stronger consideration that my 18/3.5 MC to be an MC lens than for my SC 300/4.5 F.Zuiko. One of the uses for the 18/3.5 is 360 panos. Not certain I would trade the 300/4.5 for an MC formulation unless I could test it thoroughly for equal resolution and other characteristics first. [I don't shoot that one directly into the sun, and wouldn't recommend anyone do it with amy telephoto for safety reasons, unless they truly know what they're doing to adequately protect their eyes.]

It's also my opinion that nearly all the difference between average performance of SC 55/1.2's and MC 50/1.2's is in their formulations, not in the coatings. I will admit being very anal retentive about having coated, high quality filters, keeping lenses/filters spostlessly clean, _always_ using a lens hood regardless of light direction, and providing additional lens shade if any strong off-axis light is still striking the lens objective.

Quite a while ago, we had a discussion here on serial #s of MC lenses. I kept some of the info but can't find the rest. I would like to track down the others for my WTB list.

Here are the URL's for two pages on Lee Hawkins' site:
  Multi-coating cross-reference:
    http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/multicoat.txt

  Multi-coating survey:
    http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/mc-sc.survey

The survey was compiled before my time on the list, so I don't know exactly how it was pulled together. These may fill some gaps for you.

PS which models were hand rubbed by Mrs. Maitani during a full moon?

I don't know that one. More imporant to me has always been whether Kenichi Ogamura did final assembly or not, whether it was on a Monday or Friday, or on a Tuesday through Thursday, and whether it was immediately after his morning exercises, but not at any time during the Japanese New Year celebrations.

-- John