Re: [OM] Kodachrome opinions.....

Subject: Re: [OM] Kodachrome opinions.....
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 21:06:53 +0000
At 23:40 1/13/01, Larry wrote:
It has its uses. It works better than the E-6 comparables in dusk low light.
The grain is not objectionable in all circumstances. Here's a sample pic.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1430513&a=10718179&p=37954653&Sequence=0&res=high

The diffused lighting is very flattering and color rendition nice, especially skin tones. It's what achieves the photographer's vision for the image that counts. Similarly, some like Tri-X for its grain structure and others don't because it shows readily in larger prints, in spite of its softness. One of the things I like about Kodachrome is how it handles lower contrast scenes.

K64 is 2/3 stop under ISO 100. I have occasionally run into low light trouble outdoors requiring aperture/shutter combinations outside what's feasible for the subject material. I wish there was a 125 speed between the 64 and 200, but that's not likely to happen.

RMS granularity for the three speeds:
   25:  11
   64:  12
  200:  19

Not well known about the three Kodachrome speeds is their differing reciprocity failure characteristics. K25 and K200 have better reciprocity failure with 1/2 stop compensation starting at 1 second and exposures longer than 10 seconds are not recommended. K64 compensation starts at 1/10th second (1/3 stop) and Kodak doesn't recommend exposures exposures longer than 1 second for it. See the data sheets for details on color correction that might also be required within the exposure reciprocity failure region. (For some films the color layers suffer reciprocity failure at different points and color correction is recommended as well as exposure compensation.)

-- John