Re: [OM] Buy OM your life may depend on it

Subject: Re: [OM] Buy OM your life may depend on it
From: "c.e. packard" <packardc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 12:27:16 -0600

"John A. Lind" wrote:

> At Fort Riley, Kansas we had a fenced game preserve set aside for a herd of
> buffalo.  These _are_ wild animals, and they're substantially bigger than
> domestic cattle.  They apparently look enough like cattle that Army
> personnel had to occasionally rescue someone who climbed over the fence to
> pet them.  The bulls did not take kindly to anyone around the herd of cows
> (females) and would quickly become very aggressive, not to mention the cows
> which were would become just as aggressive if there were any young calves
> around.

Last fall a Japanese tourist was killed by buffalo in Teton National
Park in Wyoming. According to the story he was driving down the road saw
a herd of buffalo grazing near a fenceline. He stopped, as have I and
many others have, to photograph them. His mistake was he went over the
fence to get a better photograph. He ended up inbetween some adults and
the calves. An adult buffalo charged and he was killed.