[OM] 50/2 macro vs. 90/2 macro

Subject: [OM] 50/2 macro vs. 90/2 macro
From: Eric Pederson <epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 11:02:59 -0800 (PST)
I'll add my bit on this. I have the 90/2 and the 50/3.5 so not quite the
same dilemma as Tom :-). I'm behind on digests, so my apologies if this
is redundant with anything in the last couple days. At least it is on topic!

An important difference is the amount of extension needed to get down to 1:1
and beyond. Clearly the 50/3.5 needs less, but I have not been as pleased
with it's performance around 1:1 as with the 90/2 -- but I haven't done a
proper side-by-side comparison. I would be curious to see the 50/2 vs. 90/2
at 1:1 reproduction. The tripod needs to be quite stable with
the 90mm racked out to 1:1, of course, but the working distance is much more
friendly. I imagine the 50/2 is substantially easy to focus than the 50/3.5
which has literally given me headaches in dim lighting at 1:1. Even a vari-
magni finder doesn't help when the lighting gets low.

The main difference for me is for travel away from the photo cabinet.
I seldom carry more than 4 lenses and usually 3.
So I count back from the longest lens I want to carry.
If I want to bring a 135, the 90 stays at home and I
have macro plus good "standard" lens with the 50/3.5.
If I want to bring a 200 (or 300), I bring the 90 for short tele use + macro
and bring a 35mm as a standard lens.

Those of you who use zooms will have your own reasoning...

> Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 16:16:01 -0600
> From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [OM] 50/2 macro vs. 90/2 macro
> I guess I am interested in the opinions of those that have used both.  I
> love the 90/2, but this 50/2 seems like a real winner.  The first thing I
> noticed is how much smaller and lighter it is than the 90/2.  It is still
> bigger than the 50/1.2, but not by that much.
>
> So, what's the real benefit of one over the other?

=====
Eric Pederson
epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (no "n" in "epederso")
Professional home page: