[OM] Re: Kodachrome opinions.....

Subject: [OM] Re: Kodachrome opinions.....
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 00:04:54
Cc: james_olson@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hmm...what to say about Kodachrome 64...? If I were forced to choose only one color film, this would be it. Sure, it's been surpassed in sharpness and saturation by other films. But nothing else does almost everything well - Kodachrome does. It's sharp enough and colorful enough for most needs, seeming "less good" only when directly compared with other films.

What it does better than anything else I've tried is reproduce skin tones faithfully. It loves every skin tone on earth, which is probably why National Geographic used it so much for years.

Despite a relatively narrow exposure latitude it's still fast enough for handheld photography in good light.

Folks who've already seen my TOPE 3 photo of a pair of lush, purplish Mexican petunias can skip the following URL; otherwise:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1005538&a=7442500&p=26757317

OM-1, Zuiko 50/3.5 macro, Kodachrome 64, handheld on a blustery late-spring day. Don't quite recall the exposure but shutter speed must have been fast enough to offset the gusts. I'm guessing 1/250 @ f/5.6 or f/8.