Re: [OM] Death of Film - Not!

Subject: Re: [OM] Death of Film - Not!
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 00:33:49 +0000
At 21:32 1/9/01, Chris wrote:
On 9 Jan 2001, at 10:31, Jim Couch wrote:

> I realize that fewer and fewer people shoot slide film, but it seemed
> odd to me that my local drug store had two different B&W films and no
> chromes!

I agree that 'chrome is getting harder to find except in camera stores,
but....

I haven't been paying all that much attention, but isn't the B&W stuff
found in local drug stores (supermarkets, etc.) the Kodak stuff that can
be processed with C-41 chemicals?  (Sorry, can't remember the name
of it...  y'all *know* what I'm talking 'bout!)  :-)

You mean Kodak "Black & White Plus 400" and Ilford "XP-2" which are the chromogenic B/W's? The local Meijer not only has those, they have Plus-X Pan, Tri-X Pan, TMax 100 and TMax 400, plus (I believe) an additional Ilford B/W. They used to have Technical Pan, but stopped carrying it due to low sales and too much expired film. I would check the Target store for the true B/W stuff too.

BTW, Kodak did compete in the consumer market against Ilford's XP-2 for a while with their T400CN, until the B&W+400 stuff was released. The T400CN disappeared off the racks and was replaced by it about a year or two ago. T400CN is now relegated to the pro film area in camera stores. The two are not the same . . . the consumer stuff has a deeper orange mask . . . supposedly to make it easier for the one-hour labs to cope with it (as if they could even cope with even Kodak Gold 400 or Kodak Max [800]).

-- John