Re: [OM] a question

Subject: Re: [OM] a question
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 00:07:07 +0000
At 16:42 1/9/01, Nicola wrote:
hi people
i saw that AE works in OFF position too;
what's the meaning of that?I need to switch to ON only when working in
manual mode or to know if i have an adequate shutter speed?
tencs,Nicola

I presume this is your OM-10.
This is a feature in case you accidentally leave the camera off and attempt to make a photograph. The risk in operating in the OFF position is not knowing whether you have an acceptable shutter speed: too slow or not fast enough (overexposure condition).

If you leave the switch in the ON position, the OM-10 will turn its viewfinder display off after a while and you must depress the ring switch around the shutter release to turn the display back on. Even if you do not turn the display back on, it will still meter and operate AE mode.

The OM-10 has two meter sensors in AE mode. One operates through the viewfinder and the results of it show in the display. The other operates when the shutter is released and that sets the shutter speed actually used. There may be occasions when the shutter speed used in AE mode sounds as if it is a stop faster or slower (usually slower) than the one shown in the viewfinder. This does not mean anything is wrong. I may be wrong, but always assumed it was because of strong light to my back and finding its way into the viewfinder throwing the viewfinder metering off slightly. I found the exposures pretty accurate, even in this situation, because of the metering system used when the shutter is released.

-- John