RE: [OM] Digital Back for Zuikos/ film death watch

Subject: RE: [OM] Digital Back for Zuikos/ film death watch
From: Chip Stratton <cstrat@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 11:26:18 -0600
I am just like Skip on this one. I have a nice digital camera which  does
great service in snapshot mode, and has high enough resolution that I can
print an 8x10 with pretty good results if I need to. The digital gets used
in almost all situations where I am simply recording events.

If my goal is artistic photography, formal portrait, unavailable light, or I
need extremes of focal length either long or short, then my OMs are the
tools.

Due to the limitations of the CCD in terms of angle of acceptance (i.e. use
of super wide angle lenses), dynamic range (exposure latitude), effective
speed, and ultimate resolution, there are still  many situations where a
digital camera really will not serve. I don't know how long it will take for
digital technology  to  overcome these hurdles, but it will be a few years
at least, and maybe more than a decade. And don't forget the new formic acid
film technologies that may give Provia/Velvia quality at ASA 800 within a
few years, and ASA 4000 film equivalent to today's ASA 400 film. That will
raise the bar a bit further.

Do I  like digital photography? You  bet, I love it. My Olympus C-3030z is a
great camera, and I get a lot of use out of it. But it is a long way from
pushing my OMs out the door. BTW, though  I think the Nikon 990 is probably
a more versatile camera than  the Oly C-3030z and more suited to creative
photography, I bought the Olympus because it is far more compact and better
suited to my P&S activities. Of course, the  Nikon 880 has a similar form
factor, so it may have been an equally  good choice.

/// soapbox mode OFF ///

Chip Stratton
cstrat@xxxxxxxxx