Re: [OM] light leaking

Subject: Re: [OM] light leaking
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2000 23:13:47 -0600
NOSPAM.omboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> My OM-2n shows some light leak. It only affects the area around the
> sprocket holes (of the film) located near the bottom of the camera.
> The image area is not affected.

By "bottom of the camera", you mean "top of the image", right?  Since
the "top" of the image is formed at the bottom of the camera....

First, the obvious - check the "new" seals and see if there are any
gaps.

Does the light leak repeat in exactly the same spot on every frame that
it occurs?  That would likely be a fault along the film plane.  If the
leak is randomly spaced, it may have occurred when the film was wrapped
around the take-up spool - the back may have opened slightly, or the
plate over the back latch may be loose.  See if you can re-position the
film in the back of the camera to duplicate the "scene of the crime".

If the leak is at the _bottom_ of the image, light sometimes reflects
off the silver tab that you can see at the _top_ of the back, just under
the wind lever - that's the part that starts the film counter when the
back is closed.  Try using a black marker to darken it.

Is there any chance you can scan a sample and send it?