Re: [OM] Fuji Superia X-TRA 166 Film

Subject: Re: [OM] Fuji Superia X-TRA 166 Film
From: "John Palmer" <john.palmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 19:16:30 -0000
Chris O'Neill says:
> According to Photo Life magazine (http://www.photolife.com), Fuji
has
> introduced a new film...  Superia X-TRA 1600.  This stuff apparently
> incorporate a fourth colour sensitive layer that is said to provide
> extraordinary quality and true reproduction of colour tones in a
high
> speed film.

> Anybody had a chance to try this stuff out yet?  I'm interested
because
> I'd like to experiment with non-flash photography in very-low-light
> situations.  On that note, anyone have any other hints on film,
> technique, etc. for this type of situation?

I used the 800 equivalent for the first time at rugby on Saturday. I
was quite a fan of the Superia 800 before, first look at the new
version is pretty stunning. I haven't had time to do a big scan from a
neg yet. It was helped by being a nice sunny day, and it was the first
time I had used Big Zuik since having the rain damage cleaned out.

I've used the non-XTRA 1600 as well, for rugby on gloomy days, and got
some reasonable results. It tends to be contrasty but a contrasty neg
is infinitely better than no neg at all. I will keep a keen eye open
for the new 1600, and if I can find it and the weather goes all
British on us (grey and miserable) next Saturday I'll try it and
report back.

John