Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Price haggling

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Price haggling
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 01:53:51 EST
Lex Jenkins wrote:

> I theorize that one reason haggling is not the accepted way of doing
>  retail business in the U.S. is because of our ready access to
>  individual transportation and affordable fuel. If we don't like the
>  price at one store, we drive to the next...and the next...and so on.
>  Burning up our "savings" as we go.

The Yellow Pages is one way to avoid "burning up your savings" by driving all
over (which is a nightmare of a way to shop here in the Greater Puget Sound
area -- Everett to Seattle to Tacoma to Olympia -- worst traffic in the
nation, with some of the highest gas prices to boot).  Simply call around,
and state something along the line of "Store A is selling this item for $$$.
Can you beat that price?"  Then make 1 trip to buy.  Of course, you will
usually get more attention, and a more serious attempt to make a sale, when
you are standing IN PERSON in front of a salesperson.  If you can walk in
with a lower price quote from another dealer, you have the opening to start
with.

One of my co-workers recently recommended this routine with tire stores:
Start at one store, make the rounds of several, either in person or by phone,
coming back full circle to the first store with the lowest price offered by
the others.  I plan to drag online prices into this technique with my next
tire purchase.  Find the lowest price online (no driving involved), then go
to the Yellow Pages and start calling.  If the locals can't at least nearly
match the online prices, I'll purchase online, keeping in mind I'll still
have to mount, balance, etc. once UPS delivers.

And of course, there is something to be said for loyalty to your local
businesses, which is being severely tested all over the country by Walmart
stores and e-commerce.

With OM gear, of course, it's more fun to actually go TO the store!

As the U.S. population continues to grow with new immigrants from all over
the world, "bargaining" (and bartering) is becoming more and more accepted,
and I would say even expected.  And the rest of us are catching on.  I used
to be a Nordstrom snob, paying full retail for everything.  Not any more.

There is a large swap meet every weekend near me in an old drive-in theater.
Many of the customers are recent immigrants, who have little.  Those sellers
who won't bargain with their customers are not only making a cultural
mistake, but also missing out on a great psychological point: even if the
initial price is fair, all people like to think they have made a good deal,
so look forward to some bargaining.

I recently bought a perfectly good T20 flash for $30 at a used photo gear
store by simply starting with "Would you take less for it?"  It was already a
good deal at $35, but I saved $5 by asking.

Rich