Re: [OM] 50mm Lens Versions

Subject: Re: [OM] 50mm Lens Versions
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 23:28:10 +0000
I think the break between the "G.Zuiko" single-coated and the "Zuiko MC" multi-coated occurred somewhere in the 770,### - 780,### serial number range. Got that from the multi-coated lens survey last week.

I recently told another list member off-list that I have a "Zuiko MC" with a 900,### S/N, but I just looked at it again and it has a 789,### S/N. I would consider this one out of the first MC formulation. At least some of its elements are definitely multi-coated, but I cannot tell how many. That would require disassembly which I'm not about to do. A search of the list archives, also last week, turned up Gary Reese's postings some time ago citing the start of a second MC formulation with >1,000,000 S/N.

Also from the lens survey, it appears the change from "Zuiko MC" to "Zuiko" marking occurred at or about 1,100,### S/N. It's my understanding the dropping of the "MC" marking, which occurred with all the "MC" lenses, was tied to dropping all single-coated lenses from the entire lens lineup . . . and therefore the "MC" marking was no longer needed for differentiation. There was a lenghthy thread about this a while back.

Given the basic reason for Oly dropped the "MC" marking, I'm left wondering whether a "with MC mark" and "without MC mark" is valid as a correlation with the end of the first "MC" formulation and start of the second "MC" formulation. From what I researched on the lens survey and archives last week, the conclusions I drew then were:

1. The "silver nose" are very, very early single coated ones from the OM-1 era and are marked "G.Zuiko" but there is no indication of the S/N range for them.

2. The "black nose" single coated took over at some point in the S/N's, are marked "G.Zuiko" also, and continued to somewhere about S/N 770,### - 780,###

3. The first MC formulation started at about S/N 770,### - 780,### and continued to somewhere around 9##,###. They are marked "Zuiko MC"

4. The second MC formulation started with S/N >1,000,### and are marked with the "Zuiko MC" until S/N 1,100,### [?????]

5. The second MC formulation continued with S/N 1,100,### and are marked with "Zuiko" until Olympus dropped its production. [?????]

Now I'm in doubt about the 4th and 5th conclusions. From what Gary just posted, it's not clear whether the 1,000,### - 1,100,### lenses fall into the first or second MC formulation. From the lens survey, though, it is clear the ones marked "Zuiko MC" go back to at least the 780,### serial numbers . . . and I have a 789,### "Zuiko MC". It's also apparent the "Zuiko MC" marking changed to "Zuiko" at about the 1,100,### serial numbers.

/* Begin eBay Rant */

As to the eBay auctions . . . the hype about it all can sometimes drive one wacko. I would expect a better price of about $75-80 for an EX+ from a reputable dealer, perhaps a little more from KEH . . . but not nearly as high as a handful of the eBay auctions have gone. I did a percentile analysis of Skip's data covering 104 auctions of 50/1.4 lenses:
  (a) 87 closed at $75 or less
  (b) 93 closed at $80 or less
  (c) 5 closed over $90

After the seller gets done paying the auction fees, that puts a $75 net revenue (from a seller standpoint) at about the 90th percentile. When you get into the top 50f auction closings, it gets crazy. Those include the ones that went wacko because two or more bidders had to have that particular lens, and couldn't bring themselves to walk away from it, and wait for another . . . or find one at a good dealer for less. I don't know how many times I've gotten a much better price scouring dealers on the net, than trying to win some of the eBay auctions. To wit: the soft lens case that went for several hundred $$$ which was an entire order of magnitude over what it should have sold for.

As a past seller on eBay the auctions were always carefully crafted to attract attention, provide excellent photos, and hype the positives . . . while describing condition accurately, including pointing out all known flaws, and _not_ trying to hide any. A well written auction for something in excellent condition, that's in demand, will typically close higher . . . not completely wacko (unless the seller is lucky).

I am left wondering though how many of the sales on the crazy ones ever complete the transaction. Certainly the percentage that fall through must be higher than average. Some bidders will do completely irrational things to guarantee winning, without consdering there might be someone else equally irrational (was going to say "stupid" but decided not to).

/* End eBay Rant */

-- John