Re: [OM] viewfinder quality

Subject: Re: [OM] viewfinder quality
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 14:34:54 -0800
"Ironically, the humble OM-1 has, to my eye, the most disappointing viewfinder
of any camera I've ever tried (no joke), but I won't elaborate on that here."

It is these categorical black and white assertions that drive people crazy. When the OM 1 came out the brightness and clarity of the viewfinder, compared to its contemporaries, was lauded in article after article. You wonder how it can be so bad compared to an OM4 which has a semi-silvered(as opposed to fully silvered) mirror and presumably transmits less light to the viewfinder. The only significant difference I can see looking through my stock OM1N and my OM4T upgraded to a series 2 screen is that I can see the grain of the ground glass in the OM1 and it may be a touch less contrasty than the OM4 screen. Both are 13s. The ground glass is very effective at focusing on reflective highlights in very dim light, by the way and it seemed, and this is subjective, to be able find the focus point a little more easily than the OM4T.

While I was looking through OM's, I also looked through a late model range finder camera and was surprised that the viewfinder image in either OM was significantly brighter than the view in the range finder . So much for that commonly held belief, myself included.

Winsor
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA