Re: [OM] Agfa Scala 200x

Subject: Re: [OM] Agfa Scala 200x
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 01:50:58 +0000
At 01:15 1/7/01, Les Clark wrote:
On 01/07/01 at 09:09 AM, Michael H Cosby said:

I liked John Lind's pics!

I thought they were superb. What is most impressive is the long tonal
scale, clearly evident in his images, even over the internet. Very
often, I admire color work that Zuggers generate, though I can tell that
the quality is degraded from the veridical by the time it's displayed on
my computer screen. There must be so much sheer picture quality in
excess of the usual color work that the images from Scala leap out at
the viewer even from this relatively low-resolution medium.

Great pictures, John!

Geez, I don't think I'm that great.

Scala 200X has been a surprisingly nice film to work with. I should have mentioned that all those shots, with the exception of the plow, were done using a yellow (#6 ??) filter. It's an ancient Carl Zeiss filter, same era as the Contax IIIa, with a 2X correction factor on it but no filter number. The plow might have been done with a blue. If not, then without a filter. It was a heavy overcast sky and I remember wanting an ortho effect for it.

I haven't used that much B/W; there's a real learning curve to visualizing images with it. What shocked me was the SK portraits. The black backdrop and white blouse had me worried about the severe contrast with transparency film. When I got the slides back, projected them, and found detail present in both backdrop and blouse, that was a huge surprise!

Normally would have picked Tri-X for portraiture, not Scala, so here's the rest of the story for those who remember the November wedding I was roped into: SK is a good friend of my "better half" and the wife of the pro photog that helped get me ready for the November wedding shoot. Did the portraits right after helping her husband do a double exposure experiment using a mirror in his studio. She was the "victim" for it and afterward we did some portraits she wanted. Just happened to have the Contax IIIa with me, loaded with Scala, so I hooked up the PC cord from his lights and burned the rest of the Scala roll for some B/W's. They have an 8x10 of "SK Smiling" now. I just did their family portrait for them in his studio a couple weeks ago using the M645 and Portra 160NC. (Who cuts the barber's hair or does the dentist's teeth?) We burned off the last half of a roll of Tri-X in the Contax during that one. Tri-X is great for it, but I like the Scala! The pro lab I use can do B/W prints from the Scala transparencies too.

OM CONTENT:
One of the reasons for the recent OM-2S acquisition is to have a body for B/W (Sccala) when the OM-4 is loaded with Kodachrome.

Thanks,
-- John