Re: [OM] Ebay and other ripoffs

Subject: Re: [OM] Ebay and other ripoffs
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 17:44:55
Susan's comments about how eBay has affected pricing reminded me of some of my own observations and what I've learned from discussions with local camera and pawn shop owners.

Locally (Fort Worth/Dallas) eBay doesn't appear to have influenced pricing so much. These shops are using eBay to increase potential "traffic", so to speak - to make desirable items available to a larger customer base. For example, a tiny camera shop I recently visited has a very nice Can-not-an-OM-on breechlock mount 85mm f/1.8 FD that's been sitting in the case for months - maybe years. I forget their asking price but it was in line with KEH pricing for the same item. Problem is, this shop gets very, very little walk-in traffic.

So, do they take the pittance I might offer, hoping to steal the thing, or go the eBay route? More than likely they'll try the eBay route first. And who can blame them. If I want the thing badly enough I'll offer something nearer their asking price. That's how the market - and haggling - works.

BTW - OM content - this shop has one of those Olympus flash elevator thingies that raises the flash higher, presumably to reduce redeye. Personally it looks to me like it would put too much stress on those delicate shoes 1-4. Anyone interested? I think they wanted $25, but probably would take less. M&C Camera, Grapevine, Texas. This shop carries very little OM gear. They also had a somewhat overpriced chrome OM-2N and an off-brand 28mm lens. That's it.