Re: [OM] Ni Cad Battery Capacity

Subject: Re: [OM] Ni Cad Battery Capacity
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 22:40:40 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Bryhn" <thomas.bryhn@xxxxxxxxxx>

> At 22:10 06.01.01 +0800, Titoy wrote:
> >>>>

>   Can anyone advise me if it would be harmful to use the new high capacity
(high amerage) NiCads on the T series flash units? Older 1.2 V NiCads
usually have an 800 milliampere rating, there are new ones with capacities
of 1,200 and 1, 600 milliamperes. Will these higher capacity batteries harm
the flash units i.e. burn them out due to excessive power?

> The high capacity batteries will last longer, but they can't deliever any
more power to the flash. In fact they'll deliever slightly less power due to
higher internal resistance, so if anything it's the batteries that'll be
damaged. None of the small T-flashes draw much current, so just go ahead,
it'll work just fine.

> Regards,
> Thomas Bryhn

Yes, provided that you don't take them to try how many full power flash a
set of Ni-MH battery can give you. I damaged a T32 (ten years ago) after 54
cycles of consecutive full power discharge even with the old Ni-cd.

C.H.Ling