Re: [OM] ......Pop Photog winning pics.....

Subject: Re: [OM] ......Pop Photog winning pics.....
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 09:17:27 EST
Interestingly enough, as I read your message this issue of Popular
Photography sits beside my computer as I was contacting some dealers about an
Olympus accessory or two.  The thing that struck me about the winners is that
there were only two of the fifty-four that were taken with Olympus equipment
(an Olympus Stylus and an OM 30).  No single digit OM work from all of
Zuikoland.  Having seen work of many of the members of this list on the TOPE
site and various galleries it surprises me that Olympus and the members of
this list were not represented (or better represented, assuming either of the
two winners were list members) in this competition.

One of the underlying themes on this list is "We just can't get no respect
from Olympus."  IMHO that isn't going to change to any significant degree.
Assuming that is the case, we might just try to "get over it."

What I propose we do is, as a group of committed Zuikoheads, to actively
participate in contests that may bring some attention to our work and our
equipment.  That may give us the "respect" we seek albeit not from Olympus.
The talent is out there.  I have to assume folks just aren't participating in
this venue.

I am not a recovering Zuikoholic, however I am a recovering "volunteer." The
following is not an offer to organize the effort to implement my suggestion.

I propose we as a group actively participate in any competition that will
bring attention to our work and the equipment we have chosen to use.  One way
to disseminate the information about what competitions are available would be
to have one of the existing Olympus sites post information about current
competitions and perhaps links to the sites.

What if we had 2001 be the year of the Zuikoheads . . . and 2002 and 2003 . .
.

Bill Barber