[OM] Re: Aircraft ammunition pictures

Subject: [OM] Re: Aircraft ammunition pictures
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 14:34:01 +0100
Cc: garyetx@xxxxxxxx
Dear Olafo

Thanks for the interesting photos.  I cannot recognise the individual
items, except of course the 27mm Mauser cases which are
unmistakeable, but I can make a few observations.

H.E. means High Explosive and is likely to describe the bullet that
was in the case so marked.

TP means practice, as does Prac.

DEFA probably refers to Aden cannon shells which were used by the
Jaguar, the Harrier and the Hunter (from many, many years ago).

The 20mm shells and cases were probably used by the F16, some of
which were based at Twente AB, Enschede nearby.

It makes me want to travel to Nordhorn range to have a look around
myself.  Unfortunately, the last RAF base in Germany (Brüggen, west
of Mönchen-Gladbach) will close before the end of this year and
Nordhorn will not be used by the British any longer.  I visited
Brüggen this morning to see the dentist there .... it was raining
heavily, the place is still down for the holidays (saving money) and
there are only 2 Tornado Squadrons there now, soon to return to
England.  I first went there in 1975.  I have served there twice on
strike squadrons (Jaguar 1979-82, Tornado 97-99) and I learnt a lot
about NATO while I was there.

We launched the first ever bombing missions from a British base since
the Second World War from there in 1999... Oh Well!

Regards

Chris