[OM] Re: Prices of new lens

Subject: [OM] Re: Prices of new lens
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 03:07:21
Cc: ralf_loi@xxxxxxxxxx
Ralf, be very cautious when dealing with U.S. stores that advertise prices radically lower than competitors which are known to be reliable. For example, B&H, KEH and a few others have nearly spotless reputations.

If the reliable dealers advertise, say, a Slik U212 Deluxe tripod for $79.95, and Backyard Smitty's advertises the same tripod for $49.99, it's a scam. Most likely Smitty's won't have the tripod in stock, will never sell the U212 at that price if it is in stock and will try to pressure you into buying another tripod at that price that's "just as good" as the Slik. It'll be a piece of crap not worth half the $49.99 price.

Cambridge is among the most notorious dealers for screwing customers. I'd buy from them only in person - if at all - never by mail order, and only in cash. Some disreputable dealers have been known to add false charges to customers' credit cards.
Lex Jenkins