Re: [OM] Regarding Vivitar Series 1 lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Regarding Vivitar Series 1 lenses
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 11:47:25 EST
lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I *don't* regard them as equal to the better prime lenses or even some
zooms
>  from Olympus, Canon, Nikon, et al.  In some cases they may be, but that's
>  not why I buy them.

There were Series 1 prime lens also. The 200/3 and 135/2.3 are wonderfully
bright and contrasty lens that each go down to 1:4 near macro range, with
floating element correction in them. They don't test quite as well as the
Zuikos per Gary's tests, but to my undiscriminating eye they produce the same
results. Don't forget the 28/2 Series 1 wide angle either. I haven't touched
this one but is apparently an OK lens. The 35-85/2.8, 135/2.3 and 200/3 all
use 72m filters are were probably designed with this in mind. It makes a nice
"big glass" kit, albeit kinda heavy.

Warren