Re: [OM] Re: OM4T / mechanical 1/60 / prefire

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: OM4T / mechanical 1/60 / prefire
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 03:44:48 -0800 (PST)
Lex Jenkins wrote:
John, if I correctly understand what you've described, the problem is
that you pressed the shutter release button after setting the
self-timer.  Olympus SLRs are among the very few (only?) in which the
self-timer has its own release mechanism (a tiny tab concealed beneath
the self-timer lever on my OM-1).  With most SLRs you set the
self-timer, then press the shutter release button to begin the
countdown.  If you do this with the OMs the shutter will fire
immediately.  Every once in a while I forget this too, since I switch
between OMs and Canons.
Hail, O Lex. Thou describest well the robust and well beloved machinery
with which the OM-1 and OM-2 were endowed in days of yore, and none is
likely to dispute it. Verily, that clockwork self-timer was a joy to
use, as it couldst be set to times less than its alloted span of 10
seconds and couldst also be cancelled at the whim of its worthy master.

However, it came to pass that, in the subsequent ages of the OM-2S and
OM-4, Olympus deemed an electronic delay to be more worthy (not for the
OM-3, which was the economy model and was not granted the benefit of
self-timer or mirror-lock). The newfangled self-timer requireth that
the camera's own shutter release be pressed, by its custodian, in order
that the dread count-down should commence, which, once set upon its
path, canst be neither foreshortened nor stopped (unless thou rippest
out the batteries in thy panic).

The resetting of this evil contraption canst easily be forgotten for
the next shot and many an Olyphile hath been heard to scream: "Woe is
me! Forsooth, ye olde self-timer is yet active and all my dilligence
and preparation have come to nought! I've missed the f****** shot!" The
aggrieved victim canst then only wait until the timer had run its fell
course or, in a fit of pique, cancel the self timer and cause the
shutter untimely to trip. Either way, the shot that hath been
anticipated with such joy is lost! The tribulations that John hath
described are due to this electronic engine of torture, O Lex, not the
clockwork gadget with which thou art familiar.

Regards,

=====
Ray