[OM] Las Vegas New Year's Fireworks

Subject: [OM] Las Vegas New Year's Fireworks
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 04:00:31 -0800
Las Vegas put on a $500,000 fireworks show for New Years. Awesome! Susie
and I dragged out 4 tripods and shot it (with security clearance) from
the upper deck of McCarran International Airport. The following shot is
her's:

http://home.earthlink.net/~pcacala/VegasFireworks.jpg

She was using an OM-4T with 35mm f/2 Zuiko at f/8 in Auto w/ cable
release, using Kodak Royal Gold 100. The lens was fitted with a clamp
on, open top gel filter holder. It had a black card in it that she would
carefully lift periodically for 1 to 2 sec. to capture different bursts.
She would listen for the shutter to close (three cheers for OTF
metering!) and advance the film manually. No messing around with double
exposures the mechanical way. Lucky for us we did that technique with
one of the cameras, since the show was predominantly fountain looking
fireworks, rather than mushrooming bursts.

I worked the other three rigs, including:
Bronica ETRSi w/ 50mm @ f/8 and a 135W back (for panoramic), Portra 100T

OM-2S w/ 24mm f/2.8 MC at f/8 or f/11, w/ Winder 2 & Remote Cord, Provia
F (incl. some early shots with half a ND 0.9 filter in a gel filter
holder)
OM-2S w/ 300mm f/4.5 MC at f/8 or f/11, w/ Winder 2 & Remote Cord,
Portra 100T

Probably ranks as one of the most fun shoots of my life. The black card
technique was my own invention, flawlessly executed by Susie, despite
sticking her with the rickety Kalimar tripod  :-(

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV