Re: [OM] Digital trends (LONG)

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital trends (LONG)
From: "Paul D. Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 23:19:57 -0600
At 10:12 PM 12/31/00 GMT, you wrote:
>>Certainly there are lots of item I have missed, welcome for anyone's comment
>>on or offlist.
>
>C.H.,
>
>One thing which is a major issue for me: obsolescence. How long with the
>manufacturers continue to offer spares and repair for models which are
>superceded as quickly as is the case in the digital field? I wouldn't want
>to spend £1700 on an E-10 for this reason (as well as currently suffering
>inadequate funds), though I well understand that others have either plenty
>of dosh or can justify it on the grounds of using digital technology for
>profit. Neither applies to me, so I'll stay with film.
>
>Simon E.

I looked at an E-10 at Circuit City ($1995) this weekend. The external plastic,
controls, etc. certainly had the pro camera look and feel. But I was very
disappointed by the viewfinder. The screen was tiny and dim. It had excessive
eye relief (maybe not for a glasses wearer) combined with a tiny exit pupil.
This
meant I had to hold the heavy camera away from my face while trying to keep my
pupil centered on the narrow beam, a more difficult alignment task than using a
split image with a telephoto. A large, deep eyecup would help. Still well below
film SLR standards. A Sony rival wasn't any better. The screen in the
viewfinder
was very bright, but it was an low-res LCD!

Paul