Re: [OM] Everyone's opinion

Subject: Re: [OM] Everyone's opinion
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 13:55:30 -0700
At 09:30 AM 12/31/2000 -0800, Gary Reese wrote:

[snip]

>Rest advised that the Canadian government seems to be cracking down on
>collecting VAT on foreign parcel post shipments, so you might get
>sticker shock on a purchase from outside Canada.

Sometimes you can get around this.  Have the seller mark the appropriate
Customs documents with the phrase "non-commercial transaction," which can help,
or simply state that the contents are used photo equipment with a small (but
reasonable) salvage value.  Regardless of whether you can avoid the GST, you'll
still probably have to pony up the $5.00 "transaction handling fee" which CCRA
also demands.

>My starter pick for a modest budget: an OM-2S with a "Made in Japan"
>50mm f/1.8 Zuiko. Look for those words on the ID ring of the lens and
>you'll know you have the most recent model. I've shot with every model
>made and that is the camera I'm "married" to.

Definitely a nice camera/lens combo.  The -2s (also sometimes referred to as
the "Spot Program") is difficult to find high-quality examples of in Canada,
but that's why eBay's such a blessing for Canadian Zuikoholics.  Others on this
list have already told you reasonable ranges for the camera's used value,
depending on condition.

Garth

"A bad day doing photography is better
 than a good day doing just about
 anything else."

The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery at:

   http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/, or
   http://www.enable.org/~gallery/