Re: [OM] Winder 2 questions

Subject: Re: [OM] Winder 2 questions
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 12:45:54 -0600
Mostly answered, but...

Lex Jenkins wrote:

> What's the proper operation sequence of the Winder 2?

1. Press winder's release button - motor begins to turn, but camera is
already wound (hopefully), so roller on gear pushes past release arm.
When this happens, the arm rotates to actuate the shutter release slide,
firing the shutter (or, more accurately, releasing the mirror mechanism,
which then trips the shutter).

2. When the camera's mirror is released, the MD switch changes state,
grounding one contact to the winder/motor drive.  This causes the motor
to brake quickly to a stop (to prevent "wind on" while the shutter is
open).  Until the mirror drops to close the MD switch again, the motor
remains off.

3. When the mirror mechanism is released and returns to close the MD
switch again, the motor is reactivated.  Now, since there's no
resistance to winding rotation, the camera winds to the next frame.

4. Once winding is complete, roller on the gear pushes past a high point
on the release arm.  This disconnects power to the motor.  Circuitry in
the winder brakes the motor to a stop quickly.  The shutter is wound,
and ready to fire again.

> The rather decrepit
> pound puppy I'm evaluating requires two pokes of the release button, one to
> advance the film, a second to trip the shutter.

Shouldn't happen.  The problem may be the switch inside the camera that
controls the winder/motor drive, though.  Have you checked your camera
with another winder?

> If I'm guessing correctly, in single mode the winder should advance/trip
> once for every depression of the button; in sequential mode, continuously as
> long as the button is depressed.  Correct?

Yep - but one little known fact.  A Winder 1, firing as fast as you can
push the button, is actually faster than a Winder 2 set in either mode.
Has something to do with the circuitry, I think.

> Also, I know there's info regarding common problems plaguing the winders but
> would anyone care to summarize or point me toward a URL that discusses these
> and possible fixes?  I seem to recall something about faulty diodes,
> resistors or balky hamsters...

Biggest problems these days?
1. Bad rubber grommet in the gear train.  The motor turns, but nothing
happens, sometimes for a few seconds, sometimes forever (!).

2. Bad battery trays - intermittant operation.  DON'T store your winder
with batteries in the tray!  They (the batteries) bend the tray until
the contacts don't touch.  Either replace the tray, or try bending back
under a table lamp (I've had a degree of success doing this).

3. Rare, but occasional on Winder 2's (only) - "wind-on" after firing
and winding, so that the shutter trips again ("click",
"whirrr"..."click"!).  This was a circuit problem, corrected with a
"factory" modification (changing/installing different components on
older circuit boards, or replacing older circuit board with new style).

4. Broken base assembly - gotta replace or rebuild with gobs of epoxy or
JBWeld, or tape with multiple layers of duct tape. 8^)