Re: [OM] OM4T shutter release problem

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4T shutter release problem
From: "Tom A. Trottier" <TomATrottier@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 11:29:11 -0500
Dear clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,

Tom

On 30 Dec 2000, at 9:01, sayeth clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Tom A. Trottier wrote:
> >
> > Hi, anyone have experience with a balky shutter release button? It
> > now takes a fair bit of pressure to take the picture.
>
> You haven't perhaps got an old OM-1/2 bayonet-style MD cap jammed into
> the bottom cover, where a new threaded-style MD cap should be, do you?
> I've seen folks do that, and it sometimes interferes with the
> release....

No.

> Other (more likely!) causes:
> Is the release gummy?  There may be some sticky-stuff (spray from
> opening a soft drink nearby, a drip from a cup of coffee passed over the
> camera, etc.) in the collar.

No, the resistance is just at the picture-taking point.

> Or is it just that you have to press really _deep_ to get it to fire?
> In that case, it could be that the adjustment has shifted.  Have you
> used a cable release?  At the top of the release shaft under the top
> cover there's a threaded post to adjust the depth of release - if you
> look through the center of the release button, you may see it (it looks
> like the head of a screw - which, in fact, it is more or less).
> Sometimes, when you thread on a cable release, the plunger will turn
> that adjustment.  It's supposed to be sealed, but there you are.  If
> that's the problem, you may be able to simply "unscrew" it a little with
> a tiny jeweler's screwdriver through the hole in the release button.
> Turn it one full turn counter-clockwise to start, then check - if it's
> not better, stop.  If it does get better, the proper setting is to
> adjust the release so that a flat edge laid across the release button
> collar does not trip the shutter, but pressing the button just below the
> collar _does_.

Interesting, the hidden controls. But that's not my symptom.

> If, however, it's extra _force_ that's needed to fire the shutter,
> that's a problem.  Something's in the way of the mechanism, or
> something's come loose - you may find it just inside the bottom cover,
> along the slide that the release shaft operates, or it may be behind the
> front casting (major disassembly time!).  If you want to look under to
> bottom cover, it cover comes off w/the 4 screws on the bottom - nothing
> else is loose, except possibly the seals around the tripod mount and MD
> contacts.  Wind and fire the camera in "B", and watch it work (wheeee!)
> - see if there's something loose in the way of the slide.

I'll look at that when the film's done.

> Otherwise - time for a trip to the doctor's!

:{

> Good luck!

Thanks, Tom
 Tom Trottier <TomATrottier@xxxxxxxx> ICQ: 57647974
        Abacurial Information Technology Consulting
400 Slater St. Suite 415, Ottawa ON Canada  K1R 7S7
    __o  +1 613 291-1168 fax:594-5412 (877)247-8796
 _ \ <    Vote for your favourite Olympus camera at
(+)/'(+)   http://www.freevote.com/booth/fav_camera
   Mensa Ottawa: http://www.egroups.com/MensaOttawa