[OM] Zuikoholism Prevails...

Subject: [OM] Zuikoholism Prevails...
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 08:53:35 -0800
I really didn't need the temptation but last Saturday found myself
browsing my local camera store and couldn't help but notice the gleem of
a titanium Olympus body in the used Olympus section of the display case.
Sure enough, an OM-4T. Checked it out and played with it some. The sales
guy knew nothing about them and I had him tripping on the spot functions
in no time (wouldn't be surprised if he was sold too...acted as though
he had never seen or heard of one before and I think he was drooling
more than I was by the time we put it away). It was CLA'ed (by their
service dept. which kinda worries me) 12/18/2000 and looked to be
somewhere between KEH "bargain" and "EX" condition. I say somewhere
between since there was some minor strap lug brassing, minor brassing on
the top of the prism (not bad) and minor (typical) paint chips on the
film reminder holder. Overall very nice and, since it was just serviced,
not a spec of dust in the viewfinder. (eBay "Mint+++" of course ;)
Asking price is $459.00 but these folks tend to be as negotiable as used
car dealers (and as aggressive..."what can I do to get you to take it
home today?" tactics prevail). The upside is this place is a well
established and locally owned store with a steller reputation in town
for customer satisfaction and the body will have a trial period and
warranty. All in all it seems like a potentially very fair deal.

Now, much as I love my OM-2Ss it is no secret I have desired an OM-4 for
quite some time. Still not convinced I would ever have time in shooting
motorsports to really utilize the spot memory but Giles has given me
some quite convincing information in past e-mails to the contrary. The
features I would like above all others are the built-in diopter and the
serviceablity aspect (if it dies it is still repairable). The downside
is that my OM-2Ss have been rock solid reliable and I have heard of
problems in OM-4s (but not so much in the OM-4T). Finances still suck
but we did just refinance our house and I am in a bit better position
than usual to contemplate actually buying one than I normally would be.
Not sure if this is the way to go though...(what do you have available
Tom???). I am about to either buy my wife a new (used...new to us) car
or dump a ton of dough into hers so the time it ripe for equality. An
extra body would take some of the pressure off me in getting my OM-2S
bodies off to John for long overdue CLAs as well. Suffice to say I am
tempted by the allure of that OM-4T. Zuikoholism prevails.... Comments,
advice, and suggestions are all invited... TIA and Happy New Year!

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com