Re: Subject: : [OM] Repairman's codes in an OM

Subject: Re: Subject: : [OM] Repairman's codes in an OM
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 16:10:18 -0600
Probably just an invoice number, though not
likely from Olympus.  Olympus numbers their
invoices "0X-0X-123456", where the first
X designates the facility (01=NY, 03=CA --
02, 04 & 05 were Chicago, Atlanta, and Dallas,
now closed).  The second X shows the department
(01=photographic, 02=communication, 03=digital,
etc.).  The next six numeral are a sequential
invoice number.

Some shops do this as a routine procedure, but
Olympus seldom "marks" a body in this manner
unless there's an unusual circumstance, such
as a refused estimate, no response to estimate,
beyond repair item, etc.  When a tech does mark
a body, for example to show that a particular
upgrade or factory-mandated modification has
been performed, that will be done either inside
where only another tech will see it, or in such
a fashion that no one will notice unless they
know to look (like blacking the head of a silver
screw, for example).